Bwood Movies You Should Have Seen In 2008

By Roshni Mulchandani

2008 is nearing its end which means that the countdowns will start appearing on every Bollywood sites. So before the countdown-mania begins, I decided to post my top fav movies from Bollywood this year. Are you ready for this?


1)A Wednesday
I have to hand it to this small budget movie which really did it for me this year. The simple story of an average Mumbai-ite who had had enough with watching Mumbai burn and toil, decides to take it on himself to call for some justice. With the likes of Naseerudin Shah and Anupam Kher in pivotal roles, you really cannot go wrong watching this one. A simple movie with a great moral: If the government wont stand up for its citizens, they will take on the world themselves.



2)Rock On!

Farhan Akhtar never seizes to fail me or anyone for that matter. Once again he proves that put him behind the camera or in front, and he will give you tasteful cinema. Granted, there clearly were a few similarities with Dil Chahta Hai, but the movie about a deranged rock band that comes together in their middle ages was an instant hit at the box office. Arjun Rampal showing he has talent; Purab Kohli doing his thang as usual; Luke Kenny surprises BUT the show goes handsdown to Akhtar who not only is natural on screen (and so cute) but sings like a rockstar. Like they would say in India - ROCKING YA!


3)Ru Ba Ru
I loved this movie despite of the fact that it is a copy of the Hollywood movie Sliding Doors (haven't seen it). I loved the execution by debutant director Arjun Bali. Ru Ba Ru tells a beautiful love story of a couple who live together and are on brink of marriage however busy schedules have taken the best of them. Randeep Hooda plays an ambitious dude running an ad agency whereas Shahana Goswami plays a dancer/wannabe actress. The best thing about this movie in my opinion is Randeep - I fell in love with him in this movie. I had never really paid attention to him, but this movie made me stand up and say HELLO! Good music and a clean story - unfortunately didn't fair well at the B.O. But nevertheless, a movie I would watch over and over again!


4)Fashion
Madhur Bhandarkar never fails to leak out some trade secrets in his movies. Fashion was no exception. Priyanka's crowning glory, this flick made her audiences applaud her for her boldness and her enactment of a suburban girl who moves to Mumbai and take on the glamour world in all its madness. I particularly liked new girl Mugdha Godse who jutted out my favorite dialogue in the movie, (ahem) "Hello Hello bolne ka, aage peeche dholne ka, photo voto lene ka, aur phir - tata bye bye." Yes, she actally uttered those very words in typical Bombaya style. The movie caused a few eyebrows to raise about the authencity of the movie and although I didn't like Kangna in her usual psychotic avatar cursing the same words over and over again, this movie was one that gave me inspiration to fight till the end and achieve all my dreams.

5)Dostana
John, John and John. That is all I saw when I went to watch this one first day, first show at the cinema. He looked FANTABULOUS. However, acting credits completely go to Abhishek Bachchan who take full accolades for his enactment of a gay man. The movie was a blast to watch for his humor, glitz and glam factor in typical Karan Johan - Dharma Production style. Priyanka added the oomph aspect too donning some great clothes and shoes. Good music - good way to pass 3 spare hours on a Sunday afternoon.

6)Bachna Ae Haseeno
Ranbir Kapoor has Kapoor blood and genes, there is no denying that. He lit up the screens in this flick where he played a flirtatous kid whose journey is followed from adolecence through to manhood (if they ever become men!). I enjoyed this one for the fun script and the laughs. Good music which is choreographed well. Watch out for Bipasha who is fantastic. Her chemistry is great with Ranbir and Lucky Boy is awesome. Deepika is really okay as well as Minnisha. Also catch Kunal Kapoor in a cameo playing a jatt - so cute! All in all - good watch.



Some others I enjoyed were:
Yuvraaj - I actually enjoyed it although I hoped it wouldn't be so wishy-washy. Watch out for Anil Kapoor.
Welcome - Anil Kapoor once again.
U Me Aur Hum - Cute movie - a bit dramatic at some points.
Sarkar 2 - Not as good as the first part but the Ash-AB pairing is awesome.
Aamir - Rajeev Kandewal proves that he is too good for TV. A fabulous movie that says a lot about terror and sacrifice.
Race - Glitz and glam - good music
Jodha-Akbar - Hritik was great in this one - Ash too.
Mumbai Meri Jaan - Great movie - should gotten more accolades.
Oye Lucky - Abhay Deol in his best till date! Hilarious
Saas Bahu aur Sensex - This is one for the ladies! Interesting!
Sorry Bhai! - Chitrananda Singh makes a fab comeback.
Welcome to Sajaanpur - Hilarious, and in some insane way also educating!

Okay, so those are a few (uhh maybe too many) which I enjoyed and loved! Before the year ends there is Aamir Khan's Ghajini and SRK's Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. Will be interesting to see how those fair. Before you know, we'll be ringing in the new year and a whole bunch of new movies that Bollywood has to offer! Before I leave, I hear Dil Kabaddi is a good watch - so I may add that to my "Must watch" list!

No comments:

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...