On Life Partners

As I sit and contemplate over my now dead love life and am surrounded by pressures to get hitched, I think back to my days when I was surrounded by men. Now it all seems so childish and silly. At that point in my life, all I did was date and get overly involved in those relationships. I feel so much more content and stable now in my life without a man but that doesn't meant I don't feel lonely or long for some lovin' sometimes. I do but I now know what I want from my man; some space, love and ambition. Strangely, the couple who I believe are the ideal couple in my mind are a couple who had no space between themselves, and lacked ambition in their own lives but loved each other immensely: My Grandparents.

My Mom has reiterated over and over again how important my Grandmother's presence was in my Grandfathers life. He would never go anywhere without her. In fact the couple were childhood friends who played with one another pr
e-partition in Pakistan - aw how cute. The partition split not only the country but their friendship too. It would be years until the duo would meet again. And when they did, my Grandfather fell in love with the most beautiful woman to walk the earth, in my opinion at least. They met and liked, he wrote love letters which she read chup-chupke and then confided to her brother about. When her father was asking around for prospective grooms to marry, it was my Grandfather's brother who bough forth the proposal. My Grandmother agreed and they were one again...forever. Coyly, my Grandmother said to me recently while reciting the story, "I wasn't interested in your Grandfather. He had so many pimples...it was his love letters. He wrote so well... I fell in love." Fortunately, I managed to inherit the writing talent from him. They shared everything from then. They had no secrets. As a single unit they faced the best of times and the worst of times together.

When my Grandfather passed away from cancer back in the nineties, I worried for my Grandmother. How would she manage without my Grandfather. But she has done and how. Not a day goes where she doesn't miss him. In fact when we send her flowers for any occasion, she puts it in front of her late Husband's picture and talks to him about us. They don't make men like him, nor do they make couples like them or marriages with so much love and understanding like them. And because I'm a spoilt brat, I refuse to give in and settle for just anyone. Until then I'll wait for the ideal man in hopes to be exactly like my Mummy and Daddy.

I think the post may stem from watching Life Partner last weekend which made me go aww and oh over Fardeen Khan. I've always been an avid fan of the cool Khan. He's so perfect -- cute, well-mannered, well-spoken and modern. Who wouldn't want him? But he's taken so I'll have to find my own version-- second best works I guess... but that's as much as I'll settle for!

1 comment:

dumbheart said...

Jus reminded of my Grandfather tooo....
My grandma has survived now 1.5 years without him...and tht pricks me to death - for I know the unconditional love that existed between them...
Life moves on....

It was touching :-)

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...