On Being Sindhi...

By Roshni Mulchandani
Received this forward today:

A Sindhi having no child, no money, no home, a blind mother, prays to God.
God happy with his prayers, grants him only one wish!

Sindhi: I want my mother to see my wife putting Diamond bangles on my Child's hands in our new Mansion!


God: Damn! I still have a lot to learn from these Sindhi's!!!!!

Okay, so I laughed but it made me wonder about my heritage and more importantly about our reputation. Sindhi's are known for their stinginess, but why? We clearly do live it up - and well might up. We have a reputation of being pretty and hot too but still we are snakes... right? We lost our state (Sindh) during the partition and pretty much after that we scattered all over the world.
And then, I read this: http://www.yogawithtiana.com/images/VOGUE-INDIA_SEPT_2008_.pdf
and I think... uhh why? I went to school with these girls and can honestly say almost half, if not all, of what they claim is false. And yet, they get a 2 page spread in Vogue India about how they still stay at home - don't we all? And how they are living up to their prestigious name. For one, the stories that come out of that house are beyond horrendous and secondly, this is all such a fake, put-on act. Anyway, phew. I hope I manage to make a good name for myself away from all the stereotypes and be a sincere Indian. But aside from that, I want to be known for being a proud Sindhi who is not stingy, and made a name for herself independently and concerned herself with good causes. Afterall, that is what I ultimately am: Indian at heart, mind and soul.

No comments:

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...