Happy Diwali!


Celebrating the Festival of lights.
By Roshni Mulchandani

Deepavali is more than just than just a time to burn crackers, eat sweets and wear new clothes. Personally, I am taken back into a time in my childhood, where Diwali was all about spending time with my family. Waking up early to rapidly get dressed and run to my father's office, gorge on my aunt's homemade peda's and chutney sandwiches and wait to get lots of money which we would spend on frivolous things. But it was fun. I remember the small details which I miss a lot now. Lighting diyas was one of my most favorite things to do. It made me feel Indian.
In the recent past the spirit of Diwali has completely taken a nose dive for many various reasons (my parents divorce, the financial crisis and my dad's business separation from my uncle to name a few) but it doesn't feel the same anymore. I miss the hustle and bustle of Diwali. Now it all seems so quiet - I wouldn't even know it was Diwali - it seems like just another day in the week.
So, I've decided that this is my last quiet Diwali. Next Diwali it needs to be brighter and louder. God knows what I'm wishing for and I'm sure he will listen to my prayers! But for now, I'll live in my childhood memories of Diwali and the fun that it came with.
In the meantime, Happy Diwali all! Have a wonderful, bright, glowing year filled with love, peace and happiness. I wish all of you everything your heart desires.

No comments:

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...