Greetings from Hong Kong!

I’ve been totally MIA and I apologize. Hope ya’ll didn’t miss me too much but amidst the move and then adjusting to the insanity that is Hong Kong, I was driven to take a tiny blogging sabbatical. However, here I am again, ready to rock n roll like never before. So yes, after a tearful goodbye from the U.S. to Hong Kong, I took what was easily a nerve-wrecking journey back to Hong Kong solo. To say that I was nervous, would be an understatement, I was literally falling apart. Talking to myself, and my rather (over)friendly South Indian neighbor, helped get me through 12 hours of anxiety. And honestly, I couldn’t really understand my jitters. I mean, I was heading home. Perhaps it’s the fear of change that made me feel rather on edge. Anyhow, here I am, nearly two weeks into being back in Hong Kong and I am alive. But how it has changed! Honestly, I’m a tourist in my own home– or that is how it feels at least.

While Hong Kong still possesses the same hustling-bustling vibe, it definitely has changed immensely. For starters, my old building in which I grew up, has now become a hotel. And if I didn’t know any better, I would never even have known it was my home. I can barely recognize the roads, the buildings and a lot of the monuments I remembered as a kid have been replaced by buildings or are under construction which makes it even more foreign.

I’ve realized that I have to rediscover the city all over again. What I left behind almost a decade was a concrete jungle; this is now a concrete Amazon jungle. And I swear to you for ten minutes, I had to sit and ask myself, “What are you doing here?” Then while I sat and pondered over that very question with one of my closest friends, I looked over the infamous Victoria Harbor and the sight reminded me of how beautiful a city Hong Kong is.

I sighed and realized, I was home.

Hong Kong in all it's glory

No comments:

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...